Get To Know Your Administration- Mrs. Broadhead

Madie Kubic, Contributor

“Every life is sacred and every life has human dignity.  The students who walk through our doors every day are so special.  It is our job to love them, support them and challenge them to grow into the people they are meant to be,” Mrs. Cheri Broadhead replied through email when asked if there have been any special lessons that her Catholic faith has taught her.

“My faith teaches me that I am called to do God’s work at TG. Many years ago, when I finished a Lasallian leadership program, I was moved by the homily at our closing mass. The priest repeated the words of De La Salle, saying, ‘It is you that God has chosen.’  I take that call very seriously.  God has chosen me, and all who work at TG, to share God’s love with the students entrusted to our care,” replied Mrs. Broadhead when asked  how her Catholic faith has made her the person that she is today.

Mrs. Broadhead began teaching in the Religion Department at TG in 1997.  She then moved into an administrative role, first as the Assistant to the President and then, as the first “Vice President for Mission”.  “I was blessed to then become Associate Principal where I could work more closely with teachers and students.”  She has now been the principal for two years.

When asked what she has learned most about herself since becoming a part of TG, Mrs. Broadhead replied, “I learned that I love working with excellent teachers who absolutely love their jobs because they get to work with amazing students. I love being a part of a Lasallian school where the relationship between teachers and students is the most important thing we foster to create a supportive and nurturing environment for all students. Not every school is as special as TG, and sometimes we forget that because it’s all we know.”

Mrs. Broadhead’s favorite Saint is St. Gianna Beretta Molla, “One of my daughters is named after St. Gianna. Her life is sacred and she, along with her sister Rosa, are gifts to our family.”

“I love our community. It is a second home for me. TG is the place I want to be when really great things happen in my life or when I face hardship in any way. We love each other, take care of one another, and push each other to get better at what we do every day. I am so excited to have my daughter at TG next year as a 9th grader. She will get to experience what I do every day!” replied Mrs. Broadhead describing what her favorite part of TG is.

When asked who has most impacted her and how in her time at TG she responded, “Brother Milton Barker has had a significant impact on my career. He has been a mentor for me, serving as a strong role model for leadership, compassion, striving for excellence in all we do, and being a loving, inclusive school for all.”

Mrs. Broadhead’s favorite part of her job is “when I am in the classroom, watching our teachers and students do amazing things. Observing students engage in really cool conversations about what they are learning is really fun. Watching teachers masterfully teach in such creative ways is really special.”

Her favorite quote is “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”  Mrs. Broadhead’s favorite candy is Peanut Butter M&M’s and her favorite meal is the turkey shawarma sandwich, “ It is sooooo good!”  When asked what her favorite restaurant is she replied, “I don’t really have a favorite restaurant, but do I love going out to eat.  We have a family tradition of going to Chianti Grill for birthdays and anniversaries.  It’s nothing fancy, but we love it because it’s a family tradition!”

In her free time, one of her favorite activities is being at her cabin with her whole family, “It’s uninterrupted family time to relax, play games together and talk.  I get a little obsessed with puzzles too.” As for going on vacation anywhere in the world, “I’d love to visit Italy.”  From teacher, to Assistant Principal, to Principal, Mrs. Broadhead has helped to form Totino-Grace into the school it is today.