Scare at the Fair

Fair-goers quickly flee the Midway after shots are fired.


Katie Collins, Student Writer

On Saturday, September 3rd, 2022, the Minnesota State Fair quickly turned violent when shots were fired just after 10 p.m. The intersection of Carnes Avenue and Liggett Street was heavily occupied by fair-goers and police officers, but that didn’t stop the suspect from firing shots. 

The incident started with a fight, which officers responded to by firing a gas into the air. People quickly dispersed, but in the meantime, the suspect, who has been identified as a gang member, fired his gun at the targeted victim. Paramedics showed up at the scene about 10 minutes later and took the 19-year-old male victim to the hospital. He received a gunshot wound to the leg, but is expected to make a full recovery. 

 The shooter was last seen running to the west end of the fairgrounds. Police have still not located the man, but are determined to do so. 

This incident was not the only violent episode that occurred that night. Many have reported multiple fights that they witnessed. 

London James, a 17-year-old male from Brooklyn Center, was in the Midway area amidst all the mayhem. He went on record to say that he saw at least four fights. James knew that things took a turn for the worse as he recalls, “People were running all over the place. No one knew what was going on or where to run to. It was just all so crazy.” 

After fleeing from the shots, James ended up leaving with his friends when the officers shut down the fair at around 10:25 p.m. 

Bri Huth, a 17-year-old female from Brooklyn Park, was also in the Midway at the time of the shooting and recalled her experience. “The first time I saw people running, nothing ever came out of it,” she said. “It was just because of a small fight.” The only time she was truly frightened was the couple of moments when she was pinned against a barricade.

Huth thought nothing of this fight and went on the ride she was waiting in line for. She remembers saying to her friend, “I don’t care what happens, I just want to make it home alive tonight.”

These words soon meant much more after that ride ended. She remembers getting off the ride, which was blasting music, when she was getting a phone call from her brother, who was also at the fair. Her brother asked where she was, and that was when she noticed all the people running. 

“I’m going to get shot in the back,” is what Huth thought while running with the crowd. 

Huth remembers continuing to sprint down the Midway, only to turn around and have lost her friend. She was fearful and did not know what do to. After some phone calls and waiting around, Huth was reunited with her friend, and eventually the other friends she attended the fair with.




Click here to see live footage of fair-goers seeking safety.



Huth’s night didn’t end there, however. Once she found her friends, they attempted to leave the fair but were stopped by a couple of classmates. They were chatting about the events that had previously occurred and how frightened they were. 

While the group was talking, fireworks were shot off, which made people jump. This is when Huth recalls the “second bad wave hitting.”

After a minute or so after the fireworks shot off, people sprinted down the Midway. Huth followed everyone else, but this incident turned out to be a false alarm. 

Lastly, Huth thinks back to the night and describes the people as “shocked and frightened.”Huth made it home safely that night, fulfilling her hope of making it home alive. 

This is striking up the conversation of what the plans are for next year’s fair.

The 2023 Great Minnesota Get-Together will need to take many more safety and security precautions than they have in previous years if they want people to return, according to many people on social media. 

David Rivard is a 55-year-old male and is also an avid fair goer and was at the fair at the time of the chaos. He said, “There’s no way I will be going back next year if security isn’t enhanced. I have a wife and two boys and I would rather play it safe than sorry.”

Huth also made remarks about the security at the fair. She said, “Honestly, I probably won’t go next year unless it’s during the day. Like I would leave by 4 o’clock.” Huth went further on to call out the fair and its lack of attentiveness when she said, “The State Fair doesn’t care at all about the safety protocols because this stuff has happened years before. It is just going to keep happening.” 

Minnesotans are adamant about changing safety protocols for a safer environment in the coming years at the State Fair. If nothing changes, a decrease in attendance seems very likely.