Granite City: Great Food at a Great Price

Maddie Edlund, Student Writer

https://twitter.com/rosedalecenter/status/964631295488872448

When celebrating my 18th birthday during a pandemic, I wondered what I could do within the current restrictions. I decided to go to the Granite City in Rosedale with my friends, who are also my fellow reporters.

As restaurants in Minnesota just recently opened last Monday, on January 11th, they have to limit their capacity at 50%. Guests also have to wear a mask when entering the restaurant and anytime they get up from their table. 

Service must stop at restaurants and bars by 10 pm according to the new orders. 

Granite City did an excellent job complying with the orders from Gov. Tim Walz. Guests were seated in booths with extra-high separators to ensure no germs were transmitted between parties. The silverware was wrapped in a napkin and then wrapped in plastic so that they were completely bacteria-free. 

The interior of Granite City is much different than one might expect, considering it is in a mall. Simple decor and fancy tables make every guest forget they are shopping and bring them into a great restaurant atmosphere. 

When looking at the menu, my fellow journalists and I saw a wide variety of things to choose from. They had everything from pizza to seafood. We ordered a unique selection – Idaho fries, Margherita pizza, and buffalo chicken mac & cheese. The food came quickly and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. 

The waiters check on their guests often to make sure they are enjoying their meal. On top of that, they always make sure their guests get the best deals. Grace Walz, one of my friends, stated that her waiter asked if she wanted “to combine her appetizers to get a happy hour special.” It is always appreciated when servers help to make meals cost less. 

Another great thing about Granite City is its reasonable prices. As we ordered, we were concerned it would be an expensive meal. Afterward, we were surprised to see checks that were no more expensive than going somewhere like Noodles & Company or Panera! Something that contributed to the low prices was the fact that we ordered 3 different dishes and split them, instead of getting one meal with a side each. 

If it is your birthday or a friend/family member’s birthday, come check Granite City out! They have a free birthday dessert for those who celebrate at their restaurant. The birthday guest gets a deep dish cookie with ice cream and caramel drizzle, along with “Happy Birthday” written on their plate.

Overall, eating there was an excellent experience. With a classy interior, delicious food, and free dessert, you couldn’t go wrong with having a birthday dinner at Granite City.