Disc Golfing Growing In Popularity

An alternative to sports put on hold

Disc Golfing Growing In Popularity

Jackson Deisting, Student Writer

Through Covid-19, less mainstream activities are finally seeing the limelight and continue to grow amongst the return of fall sports. Though only temporarily canceled, the shutdown of fall sports allowed other groups and activities to dramatically gain a following. While it is unfortunate that the main sports had to be postponed, it is good to see something positive come out of it and allow sports like disc golf to flourish.

Now, more than ever, students are willing to try and experiment with other sports so that they can continue to socialize out of school. Disc golfing was something that if you have never seen, you would not know it has existed. Now there are many students buying bags, discs, and anything else that will help them on the course to compete with their friends and family.

While many students have never thrown a disc, many other students are bringing their friends out to get them into the activity and experience the easy-going community of disc golf. Organizations such as TTT (Twin Town Throw Down) create events so that adults and students alike can show off their talents and come out with some prizes. These events are filling up fast so, if interested, make sure to sign up fast. 

This year’s Golden Valley tournament, organized by Twin Town Throwdown, is a perfect example of the growth in the sport. The tournament’s third year had more than 200 competitors all competing for first place in their respective divisions. The divisions are based on the age and skill of the player. Not only are events filled with young throwers, but stores are also running out of discs so fast that they don’t allow customers to enter their shops. 

“This spring because of COVID, retailers, and manufacturers have seen anywhere from a 200-300 percent increase in sales”, said Jason Wilder. This increase is an obvious sign of the growing popularity of the sport for those who wish for activity and competition.

“I was introduced to it this mid-summer by some friends and it seemed almost ridiculous. I mean, throwing a disc into a basket doesn’t sound hard or exciting. But that changed when I threw the disc for the first time”, Joseph Hubbell, a senior at Totino- Grace High School.  “Oh yeah it’s definitely got a learning curve to it but it’s also pretty beginner-friendly and accessible to many people”, replied Hubbell when asked about the inclusiveness of joining the activity.

When asked if they would continue to play Hubbell said, “I’ll see if I can. Most likely on the weekends cause I got football during the weekdays, but imma try to get my fix in when I can.”

As fall sports are shifting back into the season and the weather gets colder, the sport is starting to shift into its winter season. The winter season is where inside courses open up and there are fewer players due to the undesired conditions. Even still, some students continue to get their throws in and prepare for the spring season.