Driving in the Snow

Driving in the Snow

Rachel McLaughlin, Editor

Tis’ the season for snowy roads and slippery intersections. As the weather continues to get colder, and the snow falls more frequently, the roads create more chaos for drivers, especially high schoolers. In this past month, we have had a few days where it has been hard for students to get to school on time due to the weather. Especially with high school students, we have to take it even slower since we are less experienced than most drivers. Senior Daniel Claussen says, “Driving on the roads in the winter is a hassle. It takes forever and makes a short drive a long one. And it doesn’t help that we are all trying to rush to get to school at a certain time.”

Here are five helpful tips when driving in the snow that you may forget….

• Avoid driving while you’re fatigued. Getting the proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks reduces driving risks.
  • Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads. Accelerating, stopping, turning – nothing happens as quickly as on dry pavement. Give yourself time to maneuver by driving slowly.
  • Know your brakes. Whether you have antilock brakes or not, the best way to stop is threshold braking. Keep the heel of your foot on the floor and use the ball of your foot to apply firm, steady pressure on the brake pedal.
  • Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze-up.
  • Stay home. If you really don’t have to go out, don’t. Even if you can drive well in the snow, not everyone else can. Don’t tempt fate: If you don’t have somewhere you have to be, watch the snow from indoors.