Basketball preview

Muny Ngigi, Reporter

The 2016-17 boys basketball team fell short of the state tournament by losing in the section finals to the Mahtomedi Zephyrs. The Totino-Grace boys basketball team season is right around the corner and they have been trying out this past week. This year the boys are hoping to go to the Target Center for the first time since 2006. Led by a strong senior core this year, the basketball team is looking to be the best team this school has had for a while. The team has a new head coach, Nick Carroll, co-founder of Prep Hoops Minnesota. The organization is the number 1 high school basketball recruiting site in Minnesota.

This season looks to be a senior-heavy squad for the Eagles. Star guard Charlie Jacob has played since freshmen year and will be playing his final season of TG basketball. He will be also be joined by Concordia College commit Tyler Kittleson. Other seniors on the team include guards Jesse Namoonde, Braeden Mischke, and Nick Flottmeier. Although the team has a heavy senior lineup, the new additions to the team are yet to come later this week.

But, the team is short on big men, with senior forwards Will Schmidt and Tyler Kittelson out of the way, the team does not have a lot of height to compete with forwards on teams like Maple Grove or Champlin Park in the NWSC. Look for Coach Carroll this season to try to harness the power of having an experienced team.