Totino-Grace Boys Soccer Postseason Preview

Pictured: (Left to Right) Jr. Parker Jaeger, Jr. Macallan McSherry, and So. Liam Vance

Matt Kennedy, Reporter/Editor

The TG boys varsity soccer team have been having a tremendous season so far. The record our Eagles have is 13-1-1 heading into the postseason. Their lone loss was a one-sided affair in Hopkins against The Blake Bears. in a 1 vs. 2 matchup. The last game of the season, before the section tournament, was a draw against the Cadets of St. Thomas Academy.

Comparing this season to last season head coach, Bill Vance, said, “We have more weapons in our arsenal, so you can’t just shut down Herb. Collin Matzoll, Steevie Lamarre, and a number of other guys we have are very dangerous .” Endeley, Lamare, and Matzoll are the three most-scoring players.

Phil Ronza has been stellar in the net. With an 85% save rate and 57 total saves, the Eagles have been keeping the score for most games at zero. Coach Vance commented that Phil alone may not be the reason for keeping the opponent putting up donuts. “It’s not just Phil though, our defense doesn’t allow that many shots so that’s why we don’t let the other team’s score that much.”

Having two D1 prospects on the team doesn’t hurt either. Junior Herbert Endeley and sophomore Steevenson Lamare have been one of the most explosive dynamic duos in the state. Coach Vance thinks that this combo is extremely special. “I have said that when you have talent and leadership, that makes for a really successful season. I think when we are at our best we are playing really unselfishly where Steevenson has set up Herb and vice versa. It’s really fun to watch.”

Endeley and Lamarre are on top for the most points for the team this season. Endeley also is in the lead for the most goals in the Northwest Suburban conference with 23. He is also tied for first in assists with 10.

The Eagles still are looking for more achievements even if their season has already been successful. For Coach Vance, it’s not championship or bust, “I think it actually executes or bust.”

In the end what it really bogs down to is the leadership factor. This year’s soccer team has four captains, all seniors. Jack Vettel, Luke Lindsay, Colin Matzoll, and Jack O’Dea. Coach Vance replied on this groups great job at being in command. “I would say that all of our captains have a high expectation for our work ethic. Which is awesome when you have seniors who set that bar so they do it and then they also support the team as well. So they are men of action and words.”

The team also has a plethora of new additions helping the team out this year. Eric Krieger is an important new addition, finishing the season fourth in points.

Coach Vance also commented on who he believes has improved this season. “Parker Jaeger has been on varsity and I would call him the unsung hero of our team. He does a lot of the work that you don’t get credit for. I would say he is our most improved player.”

The main theme for Coach Vance in the postseason is to get healthy. Lindsay, O’Dea and Lamare all have injuries that need to be healed come playoff time.

The next game for the Eagles is the first game in the section tournament for them. The match will be against either the Brooklyn Center Centaurs or the crosstown Fridley Tigers here at Jim Totino Stadium on October 14th at 1:00 PM.