Benefits of Travel

Taylor O'Connor, Editor

“Adventure is out there!”

This famous quote from the Disney Pixar film Up shows that all that is necessary for an adventure is a step out of the front door.  Leaving the world you know and going into another is fascinating. I know from personal experience that discovering new places will change your life for the better.

Coming from a family that loves to travel has made it easy for me to love it. I’m grateful for the fact that I have the privilege to see new parts of the world. I want others to have the same experience with travel as I have: something rewarding, relaxing and unforgettable. Opportunities to travel are rare and to deny them would be foolish. Rather than worrying about what could go wrong, think about what could go right. Think about the experience you could have and what you might see. Be positive and take it all in, these places aren’t in your backyard.

I am not saying it’s necessary to take a huge trip out of the country in order to have an experience. Going somewhere you have always wanted to see and figuring out how to do it is an experience.

I guarantee once you start traveling, it’s impossible to stop. Seeing the popular places in books or the movies or the smallest corners of the earth that no one has heard about are the places that make people want to continue seeing the world.

For my fellow travel-junkies: I ask you to get off the beaten path.The tourist sites are great and people definitely need to see them, but part of travel is culture. Going to the places where no one speaks English or to quiet towns, full of life and happiness are hard to forget. The unknown places have a quiet effect on you. The best travel stories I’ve heard, come from the small towns and people tend to go back to them because their time there was unique.

For the beginning traveler, there is no limit. Go where you want to because if you don’t, you will regret it. You can start small and work your way up or dive in head first to somewhere totally different from where we are from. Either way, you are traveling! Congratulations!

Find your happy place and find it again, because there is so much the world has to offer you. Open new doors and if you find yourself hesitating ask yourself, why not?