Urban Experience

Urban Experience

Jacob Elwell, Sports Editor

A couple weeks ago, Totino-Grace students went on the Urban Experience Field Trip. The members of the trip consisted of 11 students and 2 chaperones, Mrs. Wysocki and Mr. Kocon (Mrs. Flom helped out as well). They traveled to Minneapolis to “hang out” with homeless people. The field trip lasted from November 17-18, and the students and chaperones really enjoyed their time and took away many positive things from the trip.

The students and chaperones helped the homeless and interacted with them, listening to stories about what experiencing homelessness feels like. They also ate several meals with them. In addition to eating the meals with them, the students cooked the meals and served them as well.

I gained respect for people experiencing homelessness and realized they are just normal people like us who just had one thing go wrong for them and now they are in a tough spot.

— Braeden Mischke

Junior Braeden Mischke was one of the students who attended the trip. He enjoyed his time there interacting with the homeless people. “I loved serving the people and seeing the gratitude on their faces.  I gained respect for people experiencing homelessness and realized they are just normal people like us who just had one thing go wrong for them and now they are in a tough spot.”

Mrs. Wysocki , one of the chaperones, enjoyed it much like the students did. “We packed food and served it to the homeless, and it was very impactful,” said Mrs. Wysocki. “On one day of the trip, we sat and ate all 3 meals with homeless people, as well as had deep conversations with them. It was an all around great experience for everyone.”