Intramural Basketball Preview

Joe Pinc, Contributor

In a school full of huge sporting events, the lesser-known clubs tend to go unnoticed, and in most situations In-house Basketball would fall under the category of “lesser-known”. However, the Totino-Grace Intramural League has been shooting the lights out these past few years.

For those living under a rock or just coming to Totino- Grace, intramural basketball is the promise land for every kid who wasn’t good enough. It’s the cornerstone of all winter sports and some say without it, the school is lost.

In a league full of talent, there is one team that stands out, “Straight Cash” led by Charlie Waters, Zach Jezierski, and Joe Russell. This team is jammed packed with talent. But with all that talent they have chemistry, the same chemistry that brought them to the championship for two straight years. Last year was an easy ride for them, but with a new year comes new teams. This year there is a team with the talent to upset Team Straight Cash. Team Linders, mostly Junior team, has raw, inexperienced talent before adding two former straight cash players (Eric Moynagh, Joe Pinc) to their roster to add experience and depth. There isn’t enough proof yet, but this team could be the ones to slay the straight cash giant.

Prediction: Although I would love to see an upset this year, I just don’t think there is an talented enough team to upset team Straight Cash. The new junior team Team Linders will put up a good fight against Straight Cash, but will fall in the end.

2016-17 Champions – Straight Cash

Most Valuable Player – Zach Jezierski

Offensive Player of the Year – Zach Jezierski

Defensive Player of the Year – Eric Moynagh

Rookie of the Year – Joey Linders

Comeback Player of the Year – Jake Elwell

Players to Watch:

Zach Jezierski – Sr (Team Straight Cash): A 6’5 SF out of Centerville, MN, this lanky lefty can play from anywhere. Last year he proved to be the most dominant player in the league after leading his championship team in points and blocks. With an offseason spent mostly in the gym, expect nothing but success from this senior as he hopes to get his second straight ring.

(2015 stats: 28.3 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 4.2 blk, 5.1 ast)

Eric Moynagh – Sr (Team Linders): A 5’9 PG out of Vadnais Heights, MN, this kid will out-hustle anyone in the league. He’s a scrappy guard who will lock you down, and score at will if you lay off of him. As a new signing to Team Linders after a departure from his old team of Straight Cash, expect him to become one of the league’s most prolific players.

(2015 stats: 8.3 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 4.6 ast, 2.9 stl)

Jack Krieger – Sr (Team Arnold Palmer): A 6’0 SG out of the Lone Star State, he is the league’s silent killer. Krieger will drop 25 on your team before you know it. Often called the “Human Microwave” Jack can heat up in an instant, which is what gave him that extra level of threat. After opting out of his Straight Cash contract, Jack decided to sign with the less talented Juventus last year, in hopes of becoming a name in the league, he became a star to say the least. Jack was the vocal and physical leader of his team. Expect big things from Jack and his team this year.

(2015 stats: 24.2 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 5.2 ast, 2.4 blk, 1.2 stl)

Joey Linders – Jr (Team Linders): A 5’9 220 lb. brickhouse hailing from the Keystone State, this man child is the favorite to win the ROY award after showing tremendous ability in the offseason and physicality on the football field. This brute of a junior will manhandle you in the paint and expose you outside if you play lackluster defense. He is a hustle player, which Team Linders is made of. This guy has definitely caught the eye of other teams, expect Joey and his squad to make a big impact this year.

Evan Spevacek – So (Keeping Up With the Kinos): The 5’7 150 lb. sophomore is entering his second season in the league and showing great improvement in his game. Evanwas one of very few freshmen in the league last year. His size and lack of experience were his biggest weaknesses last season. Entering a new season with a  bigger frame and more experience; expect this young stallion to improve his all round stat line. When it comes to strengths, evan is a terrific on ball defender whose great body control allows him to finish strong at the rim.

(2015 stats: 6.7 ppg, 3 rpg, 3.4 ast, 1.1 stl)