First Choir and Band Concert

Megan Smith, Contributor

The band and choir’s’ first concert of the year on the 16th of October at the Ted Mann Concert Hall on the University of Minnesota campus.. The performance included eight different choir groups and seven different band groups, with each group performing 2-3 songs. 

The night started off with Company of Singers singing the national anthem, followed by the high brass ensemble. Up next was Chorale, which is the choir composed of freshman and sophomores.

Sydney Bebeau, a second year Chorale member, said, “[The songs] are fun and upbeat are easier to perform because everyone gets into them and enjoys singing them more.”

Up next was Trombone Choir, Cantabile, Woodwind choir, Chamber Singers, Chamber Percussion and Men’s Chorus. The band’s auditioned groups are composed of students from all grades, while Chamber singers has only seniors and juniors, and Cantabile has only freshman and sophomores.

Next was Concert Choir, an upperclassmen choir. Grace Coey, a senior, said her favorite song she performed was “Tshosholoza”, an African call and response song.  

The choirs and bands ended the concert by performing songs together. “God of our Fathers” was performed by the symphonic band and Concert Choir.

Then Chorale joined the rest of the performance groups on stage to and sang a collection of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s most recognizable songs, such as “Memory” from Cats and “Music of the Night” from Phantom of The Opera.

It was considered an enjoyable concert for the audience and a fun, learning experience for the music program students.