Youth Teaching Youth

Alli Grodnick, Contributer

Totino-Grace students are given the opportunity to serve their community as leaders and volunteers through the Youth Teaching Youth program. Through this program, students are able to teach middle school students about the dangers of drug use and cyberbullying through weekly lessons over the course of three weeks and by being a good example.

Students may get involved for a variety of reasons. For some, it may be to skip a day of school and have some fun, but for others it is to make an impact on these kids. Senior Abby Palma shares, “I got involved in this program because I love teaching kids about all the different types of dangers there might be in this world. Peer pressure has become a major issue and I wanted to teach them that they do not have to give into peer pressure.”

There are two types of programs students can get involved in. One is a focus on cyberbullying and the other is the focus on drug use. A typical session involves videos, games, worksheets, and question time that allows for the middle schoolers to openly talk with the volunteers. Senior Amelia Vosen shares about her success through this program, “I believe I have made a big impact to many of the students I teach through YTY. I see so many shocked faces and I hear multiple crazy comments that gives me a feeling of success in teaching them.”

Not only is YTY a way to make an impact at local Catholic schools, but students can have fun as well. Vosen shares, “One memory I remember at St. Stephen’s School is doing the statewide tornado drill with the fourth graders. Our YTY director made Abby Palma, Mike O’Dea and me get in the position and everything… I guess we were being good role models by doing that!”

As Amelia shared, there are more ways than one to be a good role model through this program, so all students are encouraged to participate in this program and make an impact on the community.