TG Boys Golf Kicks Off the 2016 Season

Conner Samson, Editor

On Wednesday, the Totino-Grace boys golf team faced Monticello, Becker, Big Lake, Buffalo, Cambridge-Isanti, Centennial, Chisago Lakes, Hutchinson, Irondale, Maple Grove, Osseo, Princeton, Rogers, St. Michael Albertville, Spring Lake Park and St. Francis in what was their first match of the season located at the Monticello Country Club.

Freshman Matthew Garside comments on his first varsity match via email saying, “Playing in a varsity match was a good experience for me because I had forgotten how different it is playing in a team setting tournament rather than playing in an individual tournament.” Garside was happy to gain experience in this invitational event to find his “competitive mode” again before the conference tournaments start.

Post match, Senior Matthew Lutz describes this match as preparation for others. He said that, “The team overall needs to work on putting, for we all struggled on the greens at Monticello. Wednesday’s match was a loss, none of us felt like we played even remotely well. Our score of 335 was not what we wanted.” Lutz says they are “Getting prepared for our next match at the twenty-seven hole Bunker Hills Invitational.” When asked what some team goals for the season are Lutz responded, “Win the conference and state as a team.” He would describe the environment of a typical varsity golf match as “Serious but also fun.” This is due to the guys wanting to have fun during the matches, but get better when they make a mistake.

The Totino-Grace boys golf team will be taking on a number of teams at the twenty-seven hole Bunker Hills Invitational on March 14. Come out to show them support as they kick off the beginning of their 2016 season!