Protecting the Second Amendment

Matt Gullickson, Contributor

In the United states alone over 2.5 million people a year use guns as a source of protection from a dangerous situation. In those 2.5 million only 8% of attacks end in the attacker being injured or killed according to the National Rifle Association. What more needs to be said for proof that guns protect and only can be used for bad when given to bad people?

As an avid hunter who has used many guns, I have never had a gun get angry and try to kill me. People do not understand that we do not have a gun problem all around the United States; we have a problem with mental health. In a study by National Mental Health Studies they showed that 18.2% of adults have mental health issues, and that number grows every year. That is at the core of the issue, and yes stricter rules and background on purchasing weapons is a good idea. It’s the fact that the gun opponents slowly want to take more and more off of this right, our constitutional right given to us in the second amendment.

According to gunowners.org when states first allowed conceal carry licenses noticed that “States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%.” This statistic proves that when individuals are legally given a weapon and are given proper background checks that they can use them for good: to protect.

Many students and staff members at Totino-Grace feel very strongly one way or another when asked about this. While teacher Phil Trovato is not a gun owner, he responded with this when he was asked about his stance on gun rights  “I believe that the right to own guns privately is an essential right protected by the Constitution that needs to be preserved.” 

Avid hunter and staff member Tim Glynn said, “If you pass the background check, then I believe you should be able to buy whatever weapon is necessary for your hunting desires. Sorry about my knowledge of guns but, you don’t need a machine gun to hunt deer. The purchase should reflect the intent of it’s use.”

Many students of Totino-Grace also feel the same way about this issue. Junior Cade McSherry said, “Owning guns is a constitutional right that shall not be infringed.”

We are all entitled to our own opinion. The question I ask is: When someone breaks into your house and is a threat to your family and your own safety, would you feel safer with a weapon you could protect them with?