Interested in Mission Trips?

Taylor O'Connor, Editor

Dear students of Totino Grace,

As many of you may know, we had the opportunity to apply for mission trips last week. I want to explain my own mission trip experiences as well as give you some advice for your upcoming trip.

First of all, you should know that it is okay to be nervous about going on a mission trip, but that shouldn’t hold you back from applying in the first place. Being nervous is a part of making a drastic change

“Go into your trip with an open mind. If you are nervous, pray about it. Putting yourself out there to be vulnerable like the people you are helping will make your experience feel more real and give you a greater impact.” -Grace Baker.

Working with new people is all a part of the mission trip experience. Mission trips are a great way to meet new people and learn more about them. Don’t worry about where your friends are going, do what feels right for you. After my mission trip experiences, I became close with many people I never would have without it and others will agree with me.

My most recent mission trip traveled to Guatemala last summer to work with Common Hope for a week. We built a house for a family, spent days learning specific trades in Guatemala, meeting the kids Totino-Grace sponsors as well as visiting a school.

When we arrived, people at Common Hope  thanked us for spending our first week of summer serving and working with them, but it didn’t feel like work because it was something I ended up enjoying. Seeing 3rd world poverty with my own eyes had a greater effect on me rather than seeing photos of it. It’s an experience I’ll never forget and I advise anyone going on mission trips to embrace it, and you’ll come home feeling grateful for your own life and opportunities.

Go into the trip with an open mind and have a positive outlook on what you are doing. The times spent on mission trips can deepen our faith and allow us to feel a closer connection to God. If you stay positive and think about what a difference you are making, the trip becomes more enjoyable for you, as well as others.

Be a part of the moments; do not just watch them around you. It can change your experience on a trip. In my experience, trying to connect with people made a greater impact on me rather than being shy and not trying to converse with the locals. I will never forget hearing about how they live and telling them what my life is like. I ended up having the time of my life because I stepped outside of my comfort zone and you should too. If you applied, I hope you got on a trip you’re excited about. Have the time of your life and absorb every moment you can.

Don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. Just because all of your friends want to do the same trip, does not mean you need to. Go on one that is the most meaningful to you, and I promise you will have the time of your life.

Mission Trips are unforgettable times where we take a step out of the comfort zone and serve those in need. We have the ability to make a difference in a person’s life and see the change first hand.

Sincerely,

Taylor O’Connor