The Freshmen Transition

Joe Pinc, Contributor

Movies portray high school as a dreadful place where there is no happy ending. This can often create a misperception of what high school really is like. It’s not that bad, and for two Totino-Grace freshmen, the transition is going quite smoothly.

Freshmen Andrew Olson and Isabella Thompson’s transition from middle school into high school has been easy rolling.

img_2213
One factor that helped with this transition is the upperclassmen. Andrew Olson commented, “The shadow program really helped because it gave me someone I could go to if I was lost or had questions.”

The teachers and staff are another factor that has eased the transition. Isabella Thompson said,  “Knowing our teachers care about us and are willing to go out of their way to help us really makes me more comfortable about my schoolwork.”

Sports are also a stepping stone for the two freshmen. Andrew is participating in C-squad soccer, which he jokingly stated that “we don’t win a whole bunch but it’s a great time.” Isabella is enjoying playing freshman volleyball, and plans on playing lacrosse and hopefully joining the school play.

Movies can often be deceiving and trick people into believing false perceptions of high school, but Andrew and Isabella weren’t fooled at all. Both of them agreed that high school is just how they imagined it. Needless to say, they are ready and excited for what’s to come for the rest of their high school career.