Outnumbered by the Upperclassmen: a Sophomore’s Story

Ella Padden, Contributor

I am the only sophomore in Journalism. Now, there is nothing wrong about that, it just makes class fairly awkward. My class has twenty four students in it, and out of that twenty four, there are twenty seniors, three juniors, and me, the one sophomore. I’d say that makes me a little bit outnumbered by upperclassmen. They’re all great people, but I’m having a little trouble finding things to talk about with them, as their focus right now is on the future.

Take for example, college. I’m about to become an upperclassman in high school, and they’re all moving back down to the bottom as college freshman. I can tell you who is staying in what dorm in what college, or why someone hasn’t applied for housing yet, or all the latest drama on why so and so best friend’s roommate is crazy. And I get it, college is a big deal. It’s the next stage in the senior’s life, but it does make it hard to talk to them because I’ll be here for another two years.

Also, all or at least most of the seniors will be able to vote for a president this fall, so politics is a big topic in class; abet one I know very little about. Politics makes for some interesting class conversation too, I’ll tell you that. All the seniors have different opinions, many clashing, so conversations in class can get interesting. Not that I partake in them, as I know so little about politics and am just trying to pass all my class and start studying for finals. Hearing everyone’s opinions on politics is interesting and I will say I have my limited knowledge of politics has grown, from the articles I’ve read to the conversations I’ve overheard.

I will admit, there are some perks about being in an upperclassmen class. I heard about the all the prama before the other sophomores did, and I learned quite a bit about the college housing process. I heard about who was dating who, and what things the underclassmen do that just make the upperclassmen twitch in annoyance. And it was fun, even if it was awkward. Now, as the seniors have less than ten days of school left, I’m just waiting till my last days of journalism, where it will be a class of four instead of twenty four. That will be an interesting week.