The Importance of Breakfast

The Importance of Breakfast

Angasso Yusuf, Contributor

“Breakfast is the most important meal of day”; is this statement true or just an opinion?  Studies have been done over the years that show eating breakfast in the morning can help boost your metabolism and kick start your day. The time between dinner and breakfast is longest time your body goes without food and eating within the first two hours of waking up can have effects on your energy through the whole day. The benefits of eating breakfast include better memory, better concentration, lower levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol and reducing your chances of getting diabetes, heart disease and being overweight. Breakfast eaters tend to have better diets overall consuming their daily fruits, vegetable, milk and whole grains.

I took a survey of Totino-Grace high school students about whether if they ate breakfast everyday, and the results were shocking. Out of 20 students only 5 eat breakfast everyday. The main reason why high school kids don’t eat breakfast is because they don’t have time in the morning. In an interview with Joe Russell he said exactly that; he wakes up early and still doesn’t have enough time.

Here are some tips to help you eat you eat quick healthy breakfast:

• Pick 2-3 foods, Including at least one from each of the following food groups:
    • bread and grain( cereal, toast, muffin)
    • milk and and milk products (low fat yogurt, low fat milk)
    • fruits and vegetables groups (bananas, apples, carrot)
  • pick up a portable breakfast item when at the grocery store.
  • replace or accompany that morning cup of coffee with a glass of orange juice or milk.
  • get up 15 minutes earlier. You can make and consume a healthy breakfast in 15 minutes or less,
  • Plan ahead to eat breakfast meaning you should decide what your are going to eat for breakfast the night before. You save time by putting out the box or cereal or cutting fruits for the night before.