Students delve deep into the “why” behind bullying
Categories:

Every year, several students get looked at differently because of their appearance, or how they act. This is most common in middle school and frequently seen in high school when kids are finding out what they like and what they don’t like. 

And especially when they are trying to fit in.                                                               

There are many reasons why another would bully another student or even multiple students, like if they are being bullied themselves, or they want to seek validation. It’s “the need for power and control,”  states Ms. Laura Hoss, a religion teacher from Totino-Grace.

But there is never a real and factual reason why someone should get bullied.

Ms. Hoss explains that “hurt people, hurt people” because they’ve been bullied themselves or they are being pressured to fit in.

Many students don’t even know that some of their actions are labeled as “bullying”. Another student’s words and actions can be taken in different ways and can have a variety of consequences. This is mainly seen in middle school, but also seen in high school, but not as much though because students are good at hiding it. .

A lot of students usually hide when they are being bullied so they don’t bother someone with their troubles. However, if it’s taken too far, the outcome can be devastating.

How does it feel knowing, and even seeing, the judgmental eyes and words of others?

“Everyone judges other people, but it doesn’t make it right”, Luciana Burkhow, a Totino-Grace senior explains.

Judging comes in many forms: eyes, voice, actions, and even your thoughts, even though people can’t hear what you’re thinking. “Don’t judge someone based on how they act just because you think it’s different,” Annika Luciw, a senior at Totino-Grace states.

“You just got to let them be themselves,” Luciw adds.

An article from Huffington Post suggests, “You shouldn’t judge someone on the exterior because you don’t know their story.” Sometimes, judging someone, then calling them out on that something that you and some others think is different, can make a much harder impact on them than you think.

Instead of judging and labeling someone as different, get to know the person next to you. Instead of looking at someone based on first glance, look at someone through their mind and words.

The quote that’s told around the world, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” means a lot more than what is verbally said. For a lot of people, they ignore it, and stick to their old ways that they are used to. But for many, they think about it on a deeper level.

Is everyone really supposed to be the same? Look and act the same?

The answer is no. Everyone is unique and, in a good way, different. Not one person is supposed to be copied and pasted because that would just be dull and it would make everything uninteresting.

Embracing our differences doesn’t always have to be getting to know each other. It can even be seen through a smile. We hope to spread what these differences are, and to love them and not judge them.

Imagine trying to learn something about someone, and they all have the same hobbies, likes, and dislikes. It’s not weird to be unlike the person next to you. It’s astounding.