Chapter 2: Totino-Grace’s Connection

April 22, 2016

For most people at this school Common Hope is just another charity that we donate to, but Totino-Grace’s connection to the program runs far deeper than that. Many people in this community have brought it beyond the walls of the school and have great experience from their own time helping with Common Hope.

In 1992, just 6 years after the founding of The Godchild Project, TG first got involved with Common Hope. It began with someone that most who read this will never have heard of before, but still someone who made a lasting impact on the community at this school. Marcia Wiger, a former science teacher that left the school in 2009, is who it all began with.

For her the original goal was simply to immerse students with a foreign mission trip opportunity so once she received the go ahead from Brother Milton she began looking for many different services TG students could get involved in. Contacting her parish priest she was but in touch with Fr. Greg Schaffer at San Lucas Toliman Mission by Lake Atitlan, Guatemala and with John Huebsch (Dave and Betty’s Son) of The Godchild Project which was based in Antigua. The school began going on recurring trips to both places and many students have since received the opportunity to go.

Guatemala has had a very memorable impact on her life. She described in an email interview just some of the incredible things that have now become a part of her life,

“I cannot tell you of the countless blessings and experiences I have had. From assisting in abscess surgery, attending funerals, being asked to go pick up a person’s body after his death to attending family and parish gatherings. My greatest blessing of all was spending a month in Guatemala in 2012 and going back to all three places. In Santo Tomas we had a fiesta with the families I knew and whose children I sponsored. We cooked indigenous food, played with the kids, now grandchildren to the ladies who showed us how to make tortillas. We whacked a piñata for my birthday and attended a school where one of the parish workers is now headmaster. One of the “kids” I sponsored has now graduated from nursing school and is specializing in Guatemala City.”

Although she has not been back down in a while she maintains her support for those who have affected her life. Her and her husband are still in touch with many that they have sponsored. They have seen them grow up and now all have families of their own. Wiger also recognizes just how much of a blessing what her work has been, “Going to Guatemala and meeting these people has been one of my life experiences that has given me the greatest joy. I cannot tell you the things I have learned about the country, the violence, the martyrs, the music, the poverty, the joy and generosity of the people, the sheer beauty of the country, my life long friendships. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to have gone there so many times.”

However, as I said Marcia was only beginning. There are many people at Totino-Grace, both past and present that have taken part in serving the people of Guatemala.

Ms. Broadhead remembers how after going with TG on a trip to Guatemala she was able to return for Common Hope’s 10th anniversary, with her family. She described it as “A wonderful opportunity to introduce the Guatemalan culture to my family.” Ms. Broadhead also expressed how effective Common Hope is in Guatemala, “the dignity that people feel when they have their own home is incredible.”

Totino-Grace does a lot of things to help out with Common Hope. There have have been many fundraising events, we have raised money to sponsor students, and like we are in June, we send people to Guatemala to gain that hands on experience of actually being there and helping.

Some get started with Common Hope before they even come to TG. Mr. Million remembers back when he was around age 8 his family began sponsoring a student at Common Hope. He looked to continue this connection to Common Hope at TG and was able to go to Guatemala through the school’s mission trip. While he was down there the group went to the house of the boy his family had been sponsoring for years.

For anyone who might wish to get involved with Common Hope the consensus place to begin from everyone I interviewed was to talk to your family about sponsoring a student. This will allow you to learn more about what sort of things that these kids go through when trying to get an education. However, they also recommend to not stop there, so much is needed from volunteers both in Guatemala, but in the States as well. Common Hope has a large need for volunteers. Whether it’s translating letters, or stocking supplies to be sent down to Antigua, there is always something you can do to help.