Is Dance a Sport?

Taylor O'Connor, Editor

“Dance is not a sport.”

This is one of the most aggravating sentences for anyone that is a part of the dance community. We know that dance is one of the most challenging things for someone to do because we also must perform gracefully in our costumes, wearing coats of makeup, and using gallons of hairspray.

It drains your energy and causes serious injuries, just like any other sport, so what’s the difference? Why is there so much controversy about whether or not dance is a sport?

According to Merriam Webster’s dictionary, a sport is a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other. This may not exist in the professional world of dance, because it is performance, but there is competition dance through High Schools and Studios across the nation. Dancers train all year  in order for preparation of these events and it never stops.

Many sports have an off-season, but in order for a dancer to improve, they must train constantly in order to remain in their best shape.

“People don’t understand how hard and tiring  it truly is,” says senior Shae Peters. As dancers, we lift people, we jump, we fall to the floor, we turn and we kick. It requires strength, control, endurance, flexibility and rhythm in order to give a two to three minute piece the quality it requires.  At the same time, dancers also need to think about their performance and how they look when presenting it on stage.

“It’s a sport in the physicality of it, it’s very challenging on the body. But it’s a sport and an art at the same time,” said senior Sandy Strangis. Along with the challenges it brings, dance brings a beauty to the beholders eyes.“ Artists tell stories by painting pictures, dancers tell stories by using their bodies,” says senior Shae Peters. Choreographers create an experience that makes the audience feel something, visually appealing and take their breathe away.

Dance has the qualities that qualify it both as a sport and an art.  It’s about performance and strength, a balancing act between an athlete and an artist through our year round performances. We have mastered the art of evoking emotion and telling a story without saying a word. We are the unknown athletes, for we give dance that effortless grace the audience desires.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Is Dance a Sport?”

1. nathan kavolak on November 7th, 2016 11:04 am

not a sport

[Reply]

2. Sam Henteges on November 7th, 2016 11:05 am

I disagree. It’s not a sport

[Reply]

3. kyle halverson on November 7th, 2016 11:07 am

Dance itself is not a competitive sport; it is an art. For years, the debate of art versus sport has angered ballerinas and has taken away the focus of the true artistry of dance. Yes, it cannot be ignored that dance is an exceptionally physical performance art.

[Reply]

emma hubbell Reply:

I respect your opinion on this topic. Good luck at the upcoming football games.

[Reply]

4. Jack Krieger on November 7th, 2016 2:00 pm

Dance is indeed a sport you guys saying it’s not a sport because it’s not in the Olympics I don’t see baseball or softball in the Olympics so are those not sport to? And who ever said you don’t go to a competition every weekend doesn’t get it. You can compete every weekend have you ever seen dance moms they go every weekend it depends on what the dance company does. Fun fact football players who take a ballet class are much better football players then football players who don’t take ballet because it helps with balance. And YES we do sweat during dance class a lot and whoever said that what do you do watch dance classes every day looking at how amazing dancers are I bet you do. We work hard super hard. I have dance 6 hours every weekday and about 10 hours on weekends that’s around 56 hours that’s more hours than 2 full days how many times do you go to football 3 times a week for 2 hours each day amachores. And yess we do work as a team we have to all be in sink with each other all doing the same move for the same amount of time. Here’s the deal guys come back 2 me and show me 37 turns in a row pointed toes straight legs shoulders Dow arms in position. So show me 37 perfect turns that’s how many I can do. And dance competitions are intense and you little football players were competing against more than 1 team we compete over 100 of teams. So I think i made it clear that DANCE IS A SPORT!!!!!!!

[Reply]

5. Zach Jezierski on November 8th, 2016 9:47 am

At Totino Grace Bowling is considered a club, until it is recognized as a sport I really have a tough time classifying dance as a sport. The Bowling team works just as hard as any other team in the school. The team fills the lanes 3 days a week with blood, sweat, and tears. When we arnt practicing we are preparing mentally for the next time we get play the great game we have dedicated our lives too. I think it would be nice if we could be recognized for everything that we have done for this school.

[Reply]

6. Joe Russel on November 8th, 2016 12:27 pm

Dance is not a sport. It is a hobby at the most.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is Dance a Sport?

A&E

Chance the Rapper

• Is Dance a Sport?

Showcase

Mysterious Celebrity Deaths

• Is Dance a Sport?

Opinion

Popular Books to Read this Fall

• Is Dance a Sport?

News

New Homeroom Rule Implanted At TG

• Is Dance a Sport?

A&E

Changes of Seasons

• Is Dance a Sport?

Showcase

Fishing Club

• Is Dance a Sport?

Fall Sports

Totino-Grace Boys Soccer Postseason Preview

• Is Dance a Sport?

News

Windowless

• Is Dance a Sport?

A&E

New York Fashion Week 2017

• Is Dance a Sport?

News

Nick Carroll: The New Head Boys Basketball Coach

The student news site of Totino-Grace High School
Is Dance a Sport?