Totino-Grace High school Blood Drive Completed

Yesterday, over 100 students and staff gathered in the small gym throughout the day and donated blood. Totino-Grace partnered with Red Cross to provide a place for students and teachers to donate blood. This partnership has being going on for years; Mrs. Glynn commented, “I have been here for 26 years and we have done the Blood Drive every year. It took place even before I started here, so I’m not exactly sure how long we have held it.” This long partnership has been extremely beneficial though. Just last year, the Totino-Grace blood drive saved roughly 300 lives; hopefully, this year our drive will be able to save more.

This year’s drive was a success, with 88 units of blood being donated. Many first time donors contributed and there were 12 double red donors (a person who donated two units of blood instead on one). The blood drive doesn’t limit adults to saving lives, for students get that chance as well. When Veronica Kuffel was asked why she wanted to donate blood, she replied, “I wanted to make a difference in someone’s life, and crossed it off my bucket list!” Matthew Boston had a similar reply, “I donated blood to find out my blood type and to help others… I feel good that I donated blood.” 

The students that donated were excited but were happy to help others. Some were nervous; however many are thinking of donating again next year. Veronica Kuffel stated, “I’m not really scared of needles, but I was scared of how I would feel afterwards. I was a little dizzy, but I was happy I did it… It’s an experience I will never forget, and hopefully do next year!”