Students Prepare for Blood Drive

Jacob Elwell, Contributor

Want to save a life? The Totino-Grace blood drive starts on March 9th this year, and is looking for more people who would be willing to donate.

“Our goal is to get 104 successful units of blood this year,” said Mrs. Glynn, leader of the blood drive. After getting 100 units of blood last year, Mrs. Glynn hopes to continue their progress and get as many volunteers as possible. She also hopes for a lot of “Double Red Donors,” which are students who volunteer to donate two units of blood instead of just one. In order to be a Double Red Donor, students have to be at least 16 years of age and have a signed permission slip.

Some students were unable to participate in the blood drive due to all the requirements. Donors must be at least 16 years of age and have a signed permission slip, but if donors are 17 they do not need to have a permission slip. If students have had any tattoos or piercings in the last year, they must have been done at a salon. If students have traveled to a high risk malaria area in the last year, they are unable to participate.

They have these requirements to prevent viruses from entering the bodies of the people taking the blood. Students also have to bring in their IDs to confirm their ages.

Students are excited to donate blood and help save lives. The most frightening part for them is when the blood is being taken out from them, but it goes by rather quickly. The most enjoyable part for them is the overall fact that lives are going to be saved because of their actions.