Unfinished Business

Pictured: Seniors Cam Fagerlee and Sam Hentges

Matt Kennedy, Editor

Since the first snow of the year, everyone in Minnesota knows it is time for hockey! Here at TG our Eagles are excited to continue the start of their 2016-17 campaign.

Last season the Eagles suffered a gut-wrenching blowout loss during the section championship game to St. Paul Academy 7-1.

Seniors Dan Forbord, Kieran Mueller, Michael Bonfe, and Michael Pettijohn spoke about what to expect for the upcoming season.

Michael Pettijohn thinks that playing together is an extreme focal point this year.  “Working together makes us win games and overcoming adversity is huge since there is a lot this year”.

Kieran Mueller shared some insight on what the fans should expect this season and how to act. “Come to the games and get LOUD. It’s a fun time and all of us love playing in rowdy games. But most importantly we appreciate all of our fans. Eagle nation should only expect dubs, us to beat Saint Paul Academy, and to know that we will make the tourney again. This will be a breakout year since we have unfinished business from February.”

The team’s motto is even “Unfinished Business”, so the skaters have hunger for revenge from the defeat by the hands of the SPA Spartans.

But the seniors that left had a major footprint in the teams success. The players reflected on how much they meant to this team in the past. Especially Ryan “Ron” Johnson. Michael Bonfe replied “We’re really gonna miss Ron. We need people to step up to take his place. I think we will easily be able to ease into the season.”

Apparently Michael Bonfe thinks that Ron was the coolest person he has ever known. Bonfe and Dan Forbord both agree that Johnson was and still might be their best friend.

Totino-Grace also plays in the Northwest Suburban Conference which can sometimes be a challenge competing with such large schools. Dan Forbord said, “They are better than us most of the time but the challenge really prepares us for sections. Coach Loahr emphasizes that our record during the regular season doesn’t matter compared to the postseason. But we all come from areas with big schools so it gives us some fire to play them.”

The group also agreed on the team’s best attributes: experience and work ethic. TG also has a senior-heavy team this year so that means mostly veterans and some newcomers want to win and go to state really badly.

Be sure to come and support our boys in blue and gold at the Brooklyn Park Ice Arena. Even though the Eagles lost 5-2 in their season opener to the Roseville Raiders on Tuesday, watch them try to rebound vs. the East Grand Forks Green Wave on Saturday night @ 7 pm. What a great way to start the winter sports season!

Here are some highlights from last season as a refresher for the most eager of fans. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T57aM2zsC6o&t=67s