The Decrease of Reading Among Students

Jacob Pinc, Contributor

The electronic wave is in full effect right now, with all this technology to use, has the reading of books decreased? There has been a lot of talk in the last five years about the amount of reading going down from students and young people. An article in TIME said, “New research released today from Common Sense Media finds that reading rates don’t just fall as kids grow up, but they’ve also dropped dramatically over the last three decades, with 45 percent of 17-year-olds admitting they read by choice only once or twice a year.” The Totino-Grace librarian Lisa Umland was interviewed on the topic.

Do you think the amount of reading of students has gone down?

“Yes, for a variety of reasons. They are busy with academics and sports and activities. Technology is also a big factor.”

Has the amount of book rentals gone down?

“It seems we’re not seeing as many books being checked out.”

Do you think it is important to read actual books?

“Yes because reading fiction or nonfiction and reading overall is great for students.”

Do you think there is too much electronic use nowadays?

“Yes. Student choose electronics more now a days, but E- books and online reading are not bad. It is important to find a good balance.”

Do you ever worry about libraries closing because nobody is using them?

“No. Students might be using more electronics but it’s just a different shift but it all provides good information. Print or online, libraries will always be around”

“In 1984, 8% of 13-year-olds and 9% of 17-year-olds said they “never” or “hardly ever” read for pleasure. In 2014, that number had almost tripled, to 22% and 27%,” according to TIME’s article. Do you think this is a huge deal? Will our children read? Will reading of books over time just die out? I guess that is just up to us.