College Roommates

Alli Grodnick, Contributor

As seniors finish up their final days of high school, preparation for the upcoming year begins. One important aspect for college is your roommate. For some, their roommate becomes their best friend, but for others things can turn sour very quickly. But before any of this begins, you must first pick your roommate.

What do people usually look for in a roommate? Well, TG seniors have shared what they looked for in choosing a roommate for next year. Some common criteria are organized, outgoing yet focused on school, and similar to them. Senior Molly McKinney shares, “I wanted to find someone who would go out and have fun, someone I can share clothes with, and decorate our rooms together, someone who will keep me on track with my studies, and someone who is pretty organized.”

It’s pretty easy to know what you’re looking for in a roommate, but how do you find this person? The pie chart below shows the percentages of how 20 surveyed TG seniors selected a roommate.

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 8.06.52 AM

These surveyed students also shared what they hope their roommate doesn’t do, so you may want to take some notes on what not to do for next year.

“I would absolutely hate it if my roommate snored; I can’t deal with snorers.” -Brooke Schermann

I would hate if my roommate took my things without asking or always had people in our dorm.” -Morgan Lunders

“If they were messy or loud at night.” -Connor Mullen

“Had night terrors.” -Sam Ruzynski

“I would hate if my roommate smelt weird” -Rosie McGinty

“I would hate if she was quiet all the time.” -Allison Parnell

“Turn all the lights on when I’m sleeping.” -Caitlyn Tigner

“Was messy and not punctual.” -Ebuma Namarra

“Watched me sleep.” -Nicole Gagnon
Although it is impossible to be the perfect roommate, you may want to avoid doing some of the things above. Otherwise, as Nicole Newman says, your roommate may “kick you out of the room.” Best of luck to all the seniors next year, and hopefully all goes well for everyone and their roommates!