Senior Slide

Senior+Slide

By the end of third quarter when the sun starts to shine and the weather begins to warm up it seems to get more and more difficult for students to stay focused on their school work. Students begin to start counting down the days left of school as they look forward to a homework free summer spent with their friends. Although this seems to be the case for a vast majority of high school students, it is seen most in seniors as they begin the infamous senior slide. “Senior slide is when seniors in high school decide, especially after they get accepted into a college, that they want to slack off and be lazy,” said senior Jenna Meyer.

According to Aspen Education, experts in the field of education believe that the main reason for the senior slide is due to the college acceptance process. Colleges and universities base their acceptances on a student’s high school record through junior year. Because senior year is irrelevant to the process, students have no motivation to maintain their grades. “Once I got accepted into college I decided to stop wasting my time worrying about my school work and start enjoying the last few days I have left with my friends in school.” Said senior Dan Jacobs

However, the senior slide isn’t for everyone. Some believe that if you choose to join in on the slide you lose your work ethic and drive, and because of that you are less prepared for college. Senior Blake Walczynski agrees to this and says that, “There is no point in participating in the senior slide, especially at TG when our parents are paying so much money to send us to this school. I value my education too much to just throw it away. Also, participating in senior slide develops bad habits that I don’t want to follow with me in college.”

There are several pros and cons to being a senior and deciding whether or not you want to join in on the slide. Seniors, whether you decide to slide or not, just be sure to enjoy the last few months left of high school and make the best of it.

Being in NHS it gives me the motivation to keep my grades up and work hard. Getting accepted into college definitely makes it a little tougher to want to try hard but at this point in the year for me it’s about pride and finishing strong.

— Alex Proulx

I definitely support senior slide. Once you’re accepted into a college it is kind of pointless to spend hours on homework and stress about school. Last semester grade really do not matter. Of course you still try a little bit, but not like you usually would.

— Morgan Lunders

Senior slide was a thing at the beginning of the year, but not now. It’s a grind to stay on top of everything especially in order to stay in NHS and for college. I’m over school, however cannot really jump on the slide again quite yet.

— Christine Kleszyk

Once you get accepted into college, there is temptation to start sliding and not do all of your work; however, continuing to practice good habits in school will transfer over to college, and later in life. It is more beneficial to grind out the last couple months in order to help prepare you for your next step in education.

— Tommy Lenard

I think that you should keep working hard so you keep good habits into college. College is a lot harder so you need to have good study habits.

— Ryan Johnson

What is Homework? I’m a senior

— Hayden Lacy

It’s important to not lose motivation and continue to push yourself in preparation for next year.

— Abbey Holscher

I still do my homework but I don’t study for tests.

— Alec Spevacek

I have not started to senior slide because I’ve worked too hard for 3 years to start sliding now

— Allie Grodnick

In 12 years when I’m thirty, I won’t remember my ACT score.

— Rachel Mansun