The Boys Golf Team Uses Both Youth and Experience to Prepare for New Season

Will Hamilton, Editor

Thanks to both young talent and senior leadership, the Totino-Grace Boys Golf team is about to begin the journey to what they hope is a successful season.

Following a 4th place finish last season the team learned that playing in the Northwest Suburban Conference certainly provides the team with plenty of tough competition; however, head coach Greg Granlund is confident in his team’s chances this season saying, “our goal is to be in the top 1, 2, or, 3.” To achieve this the team will need some of its young talent to play a big role this season. Freshman, Matthew Garside, who already has two seasons of varsity golf under his belt with Mounds View, was praised by his coach as “being one of the top freshman in the state.” When Garside was asked for his goals this season in an email interview he said, “I hope to qualify for State as an individual, but it would mean more to me to have the entire team qualify.”

To reach these goals the team knows they must work hard. This effort is being led by the Senior leadership of the team. Two time state qualifier, Matt Lutz, and varsity teammate Thomas Lenard are planning on golfing challenging courses out of state in order to prepare for what lies ahead. They will not be alone in this effort as many of the older players will be returning to help lead the younger talent, such as Garside, who is looking to improve his length off the tee, as well as be ready for the first tournament April 6th at the Monticello Country Club.